Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The 60-day countdown has begun

Tomorrow is my last semester final. I will read personal-interest stories for the next two months and catch up on my kind of reading. I will also get my gear ready and start some serious training, with others or solo, right here in the Huachucas. I have a ten-mile hike plannned this Saturday up Gardner Canyon in the eastern Santa Ritas.

Mary emailed me today with the stuff she wants me to bring along: ice pick, crampons...and then I realized this added gear won't be easy to schlepp up those passes. There was also something about me carrying the heavier gear. Heavier gear? I'm curious what this all means. I'm willing to help up and carry my load, but I can ill afford a heavier pack from last time.

But the big news, the sad news is finding out yesterday that her favorite cousin is terminally ill with cancer. She grew up with him in Iowa and she's not taking the news too well. She may have to cancel this trek if she needs to be by his side in his final moments, something I do not begrudge her at all.

I will still go to California even if our trek this year is cancelled. And if I do go, I may just take Sadie along and hike in Big Sur, visit some friends there and revisit old hangouts. What will be a mission stopper there is the even higher price of gasoline there.

So, for now we are going, training is beginning and in the final week she and I will discuss who carries what for the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment