Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Flagstaff, Arizona

I decided to drive Route 66 from Kingman to Flagstaff. Route 66 in Arizona is a scenic byway, with most of the stretch preserved for driving. It parallels I-40 for the most part. I stopped in the small but noteworthy towns of Seligman and Williams, stopped to take photographs, drink coffee and chat with locals. There is a lot of nostalgic collectables in these towns.

Willaims surprised me. Tucked away about 30 miles west of Flagstaff, it had a nice Main Street and a very good brewery/restaurant I came across, the Grand Canyon brewery. I ordered a cheeseburger and two pints of tasty beer, reveled in the good food and almost didn't want to continue on to Flagstaff.

I like Flagstaff. It's perhaps the one cool, progressive town in Arizona. After almost a month in California it's perhaps the most California-like town as well. I hadn't been here in two years. The downtwon area has been improved upon since my last visit.

I was back in my solo exploration mode by now, walking the streets with my camera in hand and looking at rooftops and shop windows.

TBC

No comments:

Post a Comment