Total Pageviews

Monday, September 6, 2010

One month later

Not a day goes by that I don't think of the High Sierras. I haven't gained the weight back and still weigh 122 pounds. Now I'm also jogging again, and I seem to have regained my lung capacity that I thought I had lost after coming back from Iraq. I am even thinking of running ten mile runs and half marathons again.

None of this could have been possible without the egging on by Darlene, though. Had she not invited me to join her this past July, I most likely would have explored Oregon instead. Before her invite I didn't think I would be able to summit those high passes or even have enjoyed the journey. Instead, I discovered my true strength, saw real wilderness and met a few new people.

I still talk about the mountains with Kevin. Would I do the JMT again? Yes. And I would most likely do it the same way Darlene had planned it, from Tuolumne Meadows heading south. I would love to do it again with Kevin during a "normal" summer, but I doubt his heavy smoking would allow him to achieve his true physical strength. I would do it again solo and meet others along the way, or hike it like Darlene and I did with meet-ups in the afternoon at predesignated campsites.

I have to thank Darlene and Kevin equally for allowing me to experience California's High Sierras. Kevin gave me the freedom to accomplish this goal and was there by my side the entire time. I owe him. Other trips I'd love to do with him is cruise Alaska, or take him to Montana's Gallatin national forest to see elk, moose and bears.

I've kept in touch with Mary since the JMT. Of all the people I've met she's the only one I've stayed in contact with. We are talking about taking on the Tahoe Rim trail next summer; I may fly out to Oakland in March and take a snow survivial course with her as well.

There is no doubt that I've been bitten by the John Muir Trail. It's left an impression on me that will last me the rest of my life. Pictures and words can not fully describe the beauty of that place, and I hope my narrative and photos did the trail and its people some justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment